- The FW de Klerk Foundation (the Foundation) is a non-profit organisation dedicated to upholding the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996 (the Constitution). To this end, the Foundation’s Centre for Constitutional Rights (the CFCR) seeks to promote the Constitution and the values, rights and principles enshrined in the Constitution; to monitor developments, including legislation and policy that may affect the Constitution or those values, rights and principles; to inform people and organisations of their constitutional rights and to assist them in claiming their rights. The Foundation does so in the interest of everyone in South Africa.
- Accordingly, the Foundation endeavours to contribute positively to the promotion and protection of our constitutional democracy. As such, the Foundation welcomes the opportunity to make a concise submission – per the invitation by the Portfolio Committee on Health (the Committee) – on the proposed NHI Bill.
- In this regard, please find attached our submission for the Committee’s attention and consideration.
- It is not the purpose or intention of this submission to provide a comprehensive legal analysis or technical assessment of the NHI Bill, but rather to draw attention to certain key concerns in relation to the NHI Bill.
- We trust that our submission will be of assistance in guiding the Committee in its deliberations regarding the NHI Bill and we are also available to make an oral submission to the Committee.
Issued by the FW de Klerk Foundation
29 November 2019