In episode 8 of the FW de Klerk Foundation’s exclusive biographical videos on former President FW de Klerk, viewers will learn about the events between September 1989 and 2 February 1990. Mr De Klerk and Dave Steward, a long-time associate, friend and the current FW de Klerk Foundation Chairman, will discuss:
- His first months as President
- Permission for protests and marches
- Archbishop Tutu and the UDF
- Addresses to the leadership of the SADF and the SAP
- Release of remaining Robben Island prisoners
- First meeting with Nelson Mandela
- Debate within NP Leadership re transformation
- Team building meeting
- The drafting of the 2 February speech
- Delivery and communication planning of the speech
Spanning 1936 to 1989, the first 7 episodes covered Mr De Klerk’s childhood, education and early career as an attorney and in government, the split of the National Party, his role in the House of Assembly and later as Minister of National Education, the battles in Southern Angola, The Tripartite Agreement of 1988, his election as Leader of the National Party, his stand-off with President PW Botha (and PW Botha’s resignation), his role as acting President, and his inauguration as State President.
Click here to learn about upcoming episodes.